Sunday, June 27, 2004

Its raining man!!! Hallelujah....NOT

The monsoon is upon manipal. Finally...No more blistering summer heat. No more dust and sand. No more sweat soaked bed sheets and underwear. Within a week, the dry brown landscape is replaced by lush green hills and and blooming flowers. In these cold weather you can just sleep and sleep and sleep.

that's where all the goodness end.

heavy rain and a poor drainage system in this town makes it a breeding ground for mosquito's. The cases of malaria and denggi are on the rise. As of today, 15 malaysians had been diagnosed with malaria. The infected local population is somewhere in the 50s. Actually its not to bad here in manipal compared to mangalore( a town 1 1/2 hours away) where there is more than 2000+ cases reported. Its almost reaching a pandemic state. Malaria, denggi, haptitis A and cholera is epidemic in this area. Yesterday a patient died of cholera in manipal. Pretty scary.

well, most of the ppl that got infected are those staying in the hostel or the surrounding areas. Since I live quite far away it doesn't really bother me, though precautions are still taken (I think im widening the hole in the ozone layer with the amount of insecticide im using). im faced with other problems. With the green lush grasses growing all over, an old foe reappears. Those dastardly COWS . When it rains heavily an entire heard of cows(usually 8-11 in number depending on the number of offsprings) will 'invade' my house and use it for shelter against the rain. Last monsoon, a gentle prodding with an umbrella on the alpha male will send them all out again. But this time around, even a smack would not move them. Sons of bitches...So what to do. Just leave them there. And same story after that. They just leave a pile of shit as a sign of thank you. A pile of shit per cow...Imagine. mardar chod
so one night after coming back from a friend's house, as I was coming down from my bike(it was pitch black cause there was a black out), my left leg got buried ankle deep into a slimy wet cowdung. Utterly disgusted, I tried coming down from the other side of the bike. So I put my right leg down. ppiaakk...
'nee na bueh!!!' my right leg also got buried. All the shouts of hokkien profanity drew my housemate out. Poor guy, as he came out to rescue me he himself also step on a piece of shit(apparently one cow climbed up 4 flights of stairs and crap on my front door). Then Cantonese vulgarity started flying out.'mai chau hai!!! ham ka...'

resigned to the fact that this is one problem we can never overcome, we both went into the house, planning what kind of beef preparation we gonna eat tmrw at the muslim shop. if you cant beat them, eat them....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rambutan!!!! never knew you had a blog. blogs are gay. your long lost pal, james ng.

p/s here's my website sans blog: www.umich.edu/~jlng/
:)