Friday, March 14, 2008

justine goes for tennis tournament

recently, i was asked to play for my college in an inter-varsity team tennis tournament. i was asked not because i was damm terrer la, but because most of the good fellas are away on holiday. so to fill in the team, they called me.

hell, i had nothing to do. it was either that or counting mosqiutoes.

so when it was tournament day (today actualy), i opened my store room to look for my long abandon racquet. have not played for over a year. after 15 minutes, i found it burried in between to petronas twin tower pile of newspaper. apparently some spider took a fancy of my racquet and made a web right across the face of the racquet.

i dusted it and i was off to the courts.

when i got there, i knew that i was in for an ass whooping.

there in front of me stood 50 or more tennis players. fit, lean and mean. from head to toes they were covered either in nike, wilson or adidas. from their cap to head band to wrist band, tshirt, shorts, socks and shoes all same brand. they had tennis begs that could fit in 4 machine guns and place to spare for a bazooka. when i took a peek into the begs, they had 3-4 wilson racquets of the same model lined up one after another. all high end raquets. some were even wearing oakley glasses to cut out the glare of the afternoon sun. there were full time coaches there as well.

and there i was. an overweight cina pek with double chin and a protruding tummy wearing a maroon colored brandless tshirt with holes in the left shoulder and right armpit, running shorts which was so short (up to my upper third of my thigh) it exposed the few miserable bulu-es i had on my thigh. my tennis shoes looked like it went for a tour of duty in iraq and stepped on a few land mines in the process with its soles jutting out from the sides of the shoes. no oakly sun glasses for me. just a normal rimless glasses with a broken left lens after i threw my handphone on it (tats another story). no tennis beg for me to. i was balancing my raquet, helmet, 4 bottles of 500ml mineral water, 2 packets of twigees and a can of tennis balls. during warm up stroking, on my third stroke, my raquet string burst.

when it was time for me to play, i got whacked 8-0. it was fast, but not painless

No comments: